Thursday, June 9, 2011

Kids

So here is a small insight into how my kids are adjusting, where to start is the question!

Kids are incredibly resilient, they adapt to new surroundings very quickly with relatively no problems........ generally speaking.
In the last almost 3 weeks we have had our moments where our kids are in tears begging to home, most of the time it is because they miss their friends, family, teachers, old house or forgetting favorite stuffed animals in Canada( oops, totally guilty).
A couple things I have noticed with the kids is the amount of fighting, all siblings fight but it has greatly escalated since arriving and along with it has come hitting, kicking, head locks and biting! You wonder what impression you are making when the whole courtyard can hear you yelling "MICAH, REMOVE YOUR TEETH FROM YOUR BROTHER'S SHOULDER"...... thank goodness English is not the first or second language around here!

Another thing I have noticed is the short fuses in the smallest Schellenberg's ( not me.... no! Um... anyhoo). The smallest things sets them off into a complete outrage. This morning Micah and I were outside, I was running lines in our backyard and Micah was playing when Emmanuel came outside and was going to put on bug spray, well he grabbed the raid can instead. I saw it but was on the other side of the yard so I went running.... well continued running! It just so happened that our housekeeper saw it as well and freaked out a little......... in french. She grabbed the can out of Emmanuel's hand and was talking............. intensely......... yes intensely is a good word! Emmanuel flipped, ran in the house and locked himself in the bathroom. I went to go talk to him and all I could was I HATE IT HERE............ WHY DO WE HAVE TO BE HERE........... I HATE OUR HOUSEKEEPER.......... WHY CAN'T SHE LEAVE. He was screaming angry all over a can of raid!

Kids and Food........... hmmmmmm, lets say that it is not all fun and games. Things taste different, most of the food they are used to isn't sold out here and nothing is easy to prepare so it takes time. I am really hoping they will adapt soon but also being very realistic that is will take some time. The upside is the kids get tons of fruit! The downside is they often end up skipping a meal or going to bed a little hunger.

All in all they are doing fantastic, I am very proud of both of them. Hey if I can throw my temper tantrums since arriving ( I hang my head in shame), then they can also!

** I will be deleting this post when Emmanuel figures out how to log on here by himself!
:)

2 comments:

sbitango said...

HI Mel, thanks for all the blog posts, I am really enjoying reading them and getting a glimpse at your new life in Africa. (although my jealously continues....!!!!) I hope you continue to know that you guys are amazing and that even though it seems hard to adjust now, your kids will thank you for this experience later...

Charis said...

It DOES get better. Tempers can flare as long as hugs follow sooner or later. We love you tons and pray for you every day.