Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Hard

I am actually sitting in front of my computer not at a loss for words but a loss for how to put them together in proper sentences.
Hmmmmmmmmmm, thinking.........thinking..............thinking.......................................

Two things I wanted to blog about, my work and french lessons. If you ever had the urge to be a fly on the wall and have a frickin' good laugh come to my french class. You will not only get a gut busting laugh but you will get showered with my spit and some fantastic pictures of my contorting face as I try and pronoun some of the words. You think I made weird facing when teaching combat, well that was a drop in the bucket compared to learning french. Nothing sexy about it!
I met with my french tutor this afternoon and spent just over an hour learning to pronounce vowels and how many different sounds the e make depending on if the accent line is ascending or descending. Also when the spelling of certain letter combinations make different sounds depending on if a vowel or consonant is following. After writing for 4 pages both front and back and anything to do with word combinations or when the vowel is silent my language tutor looks at me and say " when I return on Thursday, you need to be able to read this all back to me"......... my response? A string of very choice words under my breath :)
Don't get me wrong, I want to learn and I am willing to work at it but my brain hurts for overload of info. It will all pay off in the end................... fingers crossed!

Topic 2 - Work
I miss LesMills, what I would give for a kick ass combat class or a heart pounding attack class. I am teaching Pilates 9 times a week......... yup 9! I am still hoping to change that but people here are very reluctant to change and all they know is Pilates. Ironically for how hot and humid it is here at a lot of the ladies don't want to sweat. I would even teach Step willingly right now.... no offense to any Step instructor!
As of right now I am teaching at a physiotherapy clinic but really hoping to expand into something else in the next couple months. There is a very fine line you walk as a fitness instructor here. There are 4 fitness instructors in a city of 10 million which sounds crazy but the competition is fierce. I am actually taking over the class of one of the girls who is going to Europe for the summer and it was made VERY clear to me that when she returns come Aug I will be giving the classes back. The other 3 are also on holidays for the summer, one teaches at a very swanky hotel ( I so want that gig), I tried to rent the space for the summer while she is gone but that wasn't happening. Now the 3rd lady, she is a pick of work. apparently she has been teaching for 30 years and dominates the industry. I have also been warned that if she feel threaten by you she will do everything in her power to make you quit, can't wait to rub shoulders with her..............WOOT!!!
You have to understand that 4 doesn't seem like anything compared to the amount of people in the city but when the average income is anywhere between $20.00- $150.00 ish per month, classes are not high on the priority list!

Still hoping to blog about culture shock really soon!

No comments: