Saturday, July 16, 2011

Jobs and outlook

I have been struggling with my current job for a couple weeks now, for one I am not super experienced in teaching Pilates and I don't really enjoy it very much...cough....cough..... or at all!
As soon as I started teaching at the clinic I sensed a lot of hostility for the current members, a couple classes in I was actually told that my teaching was horrible, I don't belong here and some other things not worth mentioning.
Slowly my numbers started dropping ( some of this is due to a lot of people going on holidays) and eventually dropped down to no one. Let me tell you, huge kick to the self-esteem!
Long and short: this job was getting me down. This last week I also took a couple more unexpected blows with work and I was having a hard time seeing any light at the end of the tunnel.

On Wednesday I received an e-mail from the superintendent of TASOK, ( the school the kids will be attending in the fall) offering me a job. The e-mail didn't state what kind of job, just that it was a half time position.
I went for an interview on Friday morning and I took the job!
I am going to be teaching in the middle school ( gr 6-8); a program called Metamorphosis. It is a health class that touches on health, fitness, good study habits and a unit on your body going through "certain" changes and what they are!
I am also going to be offering some sort of fitness class 3x pr week in the afternoons to faculty, high school students and women in the community.
WHOO HOO !! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !!

I went to work that evening to teach at 6 pm and guess what; no one came! I quit right on the spot and I couldn't have made a better choice for myself.
I am trying desperately to chance my outlook on life, going 7 weeks unhappy is far too long and it needed to change.
My goal now is what is going to make me happy, I need to find my rhythm out here and find my place in a new culture.
I am looking forward to the next couple weeks off before I jump in head first on Aug 8th at the school with faculty meetings, class prep and BBQ's! Plan on spending a lot of time at the pool if the weather is nice!

5 comments:

Charis said...

I'm so happy for you!

Elishema said...

That is awesome! Not the part of hating your old job, but that you got a new, exciting one.

Anonymous said...

Okay is there anything else to say but frickin AWESOME!!!!!!!!! I am sooooooo happy for you!!!!

Mom said...

Wow Mel, it sounds like that job was created especially for you! God is in control!
Enjoy your time off with your children and know that we are loving you, missing you and excited for you.

Stephanie said...

WooHoo!!! So excited for you Mel!!! Was feeling so sad for you after reading your posts, glad you have a new job and that each day is looking better!!!