Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Questions and semi-intelligent answers

Here are some of the questions we get when people find out that we are moving to Kinshasa, DRC (Democratic Republic of the Congo). You will have the privilege of hearing answers from both Evan and I as we are equally ( hopefully) contributing to the blog!

Are you serious?
Mel: Believe me I ask myself that same question on a daily basis but YES we are totally serious!
Evan: Yeah....... Why?

Is it safe?
Mel: I don't think I would be going if it wasn't safe! Yes, it is safe plus we have added safety of traveling with a chauffeur.
Evan: Yeah, the Canadian government has a travel advisory against the DRC, but we are living in the capital city where there is a large UN presence and besides, there are no roads from the areas of conflict to Kinshasa.

What will you be doing?
Mel: I have the privilege of doing pretty much what I am doing here. I will still be involved in the fitness industry but in a different form. I will be running free-style classes for 3 different businesses plus running boot camps for TASOK, which is The American School Of Kinshasa and also the school our children will be attending. I will also be working along side of Evan's Dad trying to create a protein/breakfast bar made of Congolese ingredients. Lots of opportunity, that's for sure!
Evan: I will be running a company called SMS. It offers Service and Maintenance Solutions. I will be in charge of the construction needs of the umbrella company I will be working for, GBE. This will include building a few new banks, renovating some banks, building an apartment building, a restaurant, a few hundred kilometers of road through the jungle to get to the three factories I will be building. Also, maintenance of banks and some government buildings and the maintenance of the company's fleet of over 1,000 vehicles. Yes, I am grossly unqualified for it.

That is a small start to give you a little glimpse into how our life will change in a matter on 5 days. We are feeling lots of excitement with the different opportunities that will come our way but there is also a lot of uncertainty, fear and sadness. It has been very hard thinking about leaving; our friends have become very important and big parts of our lives.
Now, I am going to leave this in your hands, please feel free to leave any questions you might have in the comment section and over the next couple of days, Evan and I will take a couple moments to answer them.
Hoping that you all enjoy the journey will are about to take, we will keep you updated throughout.

3 comments:

Nickel said...

That's so exciting you guys! We wish you all the best. God bless you heaps!

Tara said...

I'll be checking your blog! it all sounds so interesting! I do have a couple of questions...first what was your motivation for wanting to make the move, and second is this long term or shorter term (I'm assuming longer term since it seems that Evan has quite a few projects lined up!).

LeRoy said...

My one questions of interest is..how are your kids feeling about this? I know with our kids it's a huge change to move and it's tough but exciting all at the same time.