Tuesday, May 31, 2011

hmmmmmmmmm....................................

I have so many pictures to share with you, fantastic ones from swimming, pictures of the kids legs ( they are covered in mosquito bits), pictures of Evan"trying" to climb a coconut tree while being taunted by a group of men who were working in a factory across the street ( he got higher then the court yard wall but then got stuck) but in all honesty I have no desire to.
We are all struggling with culture shock, don't feel like getting into it tonight but it is hard, I am incredibly easy to tears, the kids are refusing to eat a lot of the food and have started to hurt each other over little annoyances (aka.. biting, hitting, stomping on each others feet) and Evan is still his normal cool self but definitely more sleepy and quiet so I knew something was bothering him.
I will hopefully touch on the culture shock issue really soon but tonight is not the night, want to try and keep the post light!
In the next couple days I will hopefully catch everyone up on the stuff going on around here but for now I will fill you in on what is coming up this week for us. Evan is starting his first day at work tomorrow........... full day in french! He will be working Wednesday,Thursday, Friday this week and then full time from Monday on. It has been awesome to have him around, I don't know the language that well so he really helps out! I will be heading into the physiotherapist office tomorrow to discuss what my teaching schedule will be looking like for the summer. Thursday I will be teaching free-style step ( I haven't taught step in almost 2 years, could be interesting) I am going to be watched this class to see if I have the right personality for teaching ( their words not mine). Friday I will be teaching in the morning at the International hotel in Kinshasa............... this place is the bomb! Mirrors, windows facing the garden and pools as well as a water fall, wood floor, etc..............
I am definitely looking forward to the weekend already, days feel full and really overwhelming, it will feel great to kick back and relax.
For now I will leave you with a single picture.
BTW, if anyone has questions please don't hesitate to ask, just click the comment button at the bottom of the post and ask away!

Micah pounding manioc leaves with NeNe ( one of our housekeepers). Micah loves NeNe, they are always found together when NeNe is working in our house. They can't really speak to each other but have definitely have formed a bond.

Today we were driving in the the city center when the kids spotted a boy on the side of the road selling a monkey........... it was so cute. apparently monkeys are awful pets that get into everything and they need to either be kept on a long leash or in a cage. Not sure if I could deal with having the monkey tied up, I would love to get one. Really debating it right now! Hey Ari, we are working our way up to the lion or Giraffe! WHOO ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Culture shock can be tough! I mostly experienced it when we moved back to Canada when I was 12. With time {what a cliche, I know...and sometimes that "time" can be quite a while...} it does get better and then you begin to love the new country. but I do think it's good to process the feelings and to let yourself feel them! rather than try to hide them or push them away. I enjoy reading your blog :-)

Tara

mom said...

what are manioc leaves and what do you do with them?