Monday, May 23, 2011

Our Journey

Well, it is 3:00 am Kinshasa time and I can't sleep. I totally thought after only sleeping about 3 hours since Saturday night I would pass out but my mind is going a mile minute. Here is a slight run down of our flights from Calgary to Kinshasa, you will notice that there are not a lot of pictures during the final leg of the journey. This happened for 2 reasons: 1. we were so exhausted at that point and 2. it is illegal to take pictures in Kinshasa. We will take as many as we can but we might end up describing the city to you the best we can.


Here is a good place to start, Saturday night Evan and I had to repack and weigh all of our bags. We had done a little more shopping that afternoon so things needed to be shuffled around. Our whole lives fit into 6 hockey bags, 2 suit cases and 4 carry on bags!



Sunday morning started really early but with a great breakfast! Lori and I took the time to make pancakes, eggs and bacon. Unfortunately the pharmacist told us to take our malaria pills on an empty stomach with resulted in 3 very nauseous Schellenberg's and Micah who cleaned her plate! By 9:45 the cab had arrived and we were on our way.



A huge thank you to everyone who had shown up to say farewell, I am sorry we didn't have a lot of time but it was special to take a minute with each of you.
Emmanuel and Evan as well as Micah and myself on the airplane from Calgary to Montreal. Montreal looked so incredible as we landed unfortunately with our tight itinerary we saw nothing but the halls as we raced to meet our connection to Brussels. Just picture 4 of us whipping down the halls, van with his carry on , Emmanuel's carry on and Micah's and myself with my carry on, a lap top and Micah on my shoulders. Must have been a sight to see.
Chapter 2 tomorrow, I've got to sleep.................. hopefully! :)

No comments: