Friday, August 2, 2013

We are still in Canada

The title is bang on....the kids and I are still in Canada for about 16 more hours.

The last couple weeks have been so heart wrenching, frustrating and at moments so overwhelming that I want to throw my hands in the air and give up.
I chose not to blog about it while it was happening because I didn't want my angry, sadness or frustrations to come through. I also needed some time to process everything that happened in order to be able to explain it properly.

Here is what has delayed our flights to Kinshasa.......

Originally we were supposed to leave July 18 (I think), we were having major problems getting our visas from Kinshasa. Evan and I applied  for permanent visas for our family. We were told it would be no problem and to expect the process to take 1 month MAX...... 3 months later we still didn't have our visas. Evan was checking in with the guy who was helping us often and we were given the run around all the time. I don't want to type out the whole story but what happened was. 3 days before the kids and I were supposed to leave we found out our passports and the money to pay for the visas had been stolen. yup, you read it right!
Evan was able to track down our passports but the money to pay for them and all our documents needed to support getting the visa were gone.
We had to start the process again but thankfully we were fast tracked. The 2nd date we were given to leave was last Friday July 26.
On Wednesday July 24th I was in the ER for an infection in my leg. This infection came on fast and hit hard. In the ER they lanced my leg to relieve pressure and I was put on IV antibiotic. I was told right away I wouldn't be getting on the flight on Friday for Kin.
I was on IV ( at home) for 6 days....it is pretty cool. I carried a back pack with me everywhere I went because I was getting antibiotic 24/7.... I had to chance my IV bag every morning as well as the IV site ( I didn't do the needle part) every second day.
I have been off IV since Wednesday and now I am on high doses of oral antibiotic. This morning I had my last appointment with the doctor and was given the go ahead to leave for Kin.
I am not better by any means but that will take time.

So, the kids and I leave for Kinshasa via Montreal and Brussels at 6:55 am tomorrow morning.
I promise I will be better at updating the blog!

Third times a charm right?

No comments: