Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Jet Lag

It is night 3 of the kids and I being back in Congo and the jet leg is nasty.
Evan and I always have the discussion of is the jet leg worse to travel to Kinshasa or Canada? When we travel to Canada from Kinshasa and land at 9pm Canada time it is really 4am Kinshasa time but that doesn't stop us from staying up for longer visiting, watching tv....anything! When we travel from Canada to Kin it is like time and sleep bites you in the butt....so rough!

It is currently 2am right now, I finally got my kids into bed at 12am and dragged my butt into bed shortly after. Now Evan is already on Kinshasa time so he had been sleeping since 10:30 which means I am flying solo, no partner in crime for me this time.
As I lie here in the silence listening to Evan breath and trying desperately not to poke him while saying "Evan, you awake?" No answer would require a jab to the rib cage and he jerks awake, my response would be " oh, good! you cant sleep either"
In all honesty I am holding strong and not bothering him!

You would think in the silence of the night, I would be contemplating life...maybe thinking about the last 14 months I was a single parent or wondering what I am going to do for work this next year in Kin ( I have leads but haven't firmly said yes to anything) or wondering if I should start my on line courses that I have been wanting to take for years but never got around to doing it.
Am, I thinking about any of those things.....NOPE!
I am thinking about FOOD! Food of all things, right now at 2am!

Nothing special really but contemplating what recipes I want to try, will I be too tired to make granola bars tomorrow ( probably yes), what can I put peanut butter and nutella on....rice cakes, plantain chips, nothing and eat it with a spoon? I have a friend who is very near and dear to Evan and I and I know he eats peanut butter and Jam on Taco Chips ( I will say no names but it has inspired me). Last night I gave in and you could find me eating peanut butter and nutella with taco chips in bed while Evan slept peacefully beside me!
It was AMAZING ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I will leave you with a picture of my kids blissfully sleeping on the flight from Brussels in Kinshasa! Looks comfortable!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mel I absolutely love reading your posts. It must be so exciting and so exhausting all at the same time. You are so much stronger and braver than anyone I know to be going on this amazing adventure. You must post some pictures of what life is like where you are. I can only imagine and from where I sit very different from what life is like in Canada. Can't wait to read more! Lori