Tuesday, August 6, 2013

24

The kids and I just completed the first 24 hours back in Kin. It has felt super busy to me but probably in reality it hasn't been terribly busy.

Due to jet leg the kids and I went to bed around 2 am this morning, we then slept in until 11 am this morning. Evan was at work so the kids and I hung around home for a couple hours wondering what to do with no water or power ( I was to lazy to go turn on the generator, so don't feel bad for us).
Evan arrived home around 1pm this afternoon, so we took the opportunity to get some stuff done.
This afternoon we went to TASOK to find out when the kids first day of school will be and to say hi to the teachers who are already working.
After that we headed downtown to do some grocery shopping, got gas in my new car ( new to me but not NEW NEW), went to a fantastic Indian restaurant and stopped to say Hi to Evan's dad.

As we were driving in town and getting gas I was doing a lot of thinking about what I was seeing around me, the sounds and smells of Kin. It is not scary this time around, Kinshasa overwhelms your senses but not like the first time we arrived here. It feels normal...well a weird normal!

Tomorrow during the day I am hoping to take a picture of my car, the kids have named in Minon because it is bright yellow with a grey stripe. It is a small SUV and the name minon fits it perfectly.

Over the next couple days we will be settling into "life" out here, hoping to have a couple down days before the kids start school on Monday. I really want to keep updating the blog on a regular basis but feel unsure what to write about.
Please feel free to ask questions, leave them in the comment section and I promise to answer them!

Oh, I am heading into TASOK tomorrow afternoon to meet with the super intendant about possibly teaching fitness classes, bootcamps and running the weight room for the next school year...we'll see how that turns out!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you made it back to Kinshasa. That was terrible to have that happen to your passports and the supporting information. I hope that the theft of the information causes any continuing grief for you.

I should let you know that my dad has been in the hospital now for about 6 weeks. I will probably have to go in the fall if his condition gets worse.

Dad

Stephanie said...

So glad first day went well!!! Are the kids excited to be starting school so soon? Can't wait to see a pic of your vehicle!!!